Our ‘Core of Knowledge' course covers a wide range of topics including:
- Understand the characteristics of optical radiation emitted from
different types of equipment.
• Familiar with the intended purpose of the optical radiation equipment.
• Aware of the meaning of the warning labels associated with optical radiation equipment.
• The effects of exposure and health hazards, including eye, skin and tissue, which can arise from the use of laser, IPL or other
optical radiation equipment.
• Equipment related hazards, which can arise from the use of laser, IPL or other optical radiation devices, including equipment malfunctions.
• Management of equipment and the role of personnel, including Controlled Areas and the role of the Laser Protection Adviser and Supervisor.
• The principles and requirements of equipment quality assurance processes and procedures.
• Hazards related to individuals through use of optical radiation equipment, including electrical hazards, fire risks and smoke plume effects.
• Hazards to patients associated with optical radiation treatment procedures and methods of minimising risks.
• Hazard control procedures, including the use of personal protection.
- Hazards from reflections or absorption of the optical radiation beam with respect
to instruments or surfaces or other equipment.
• General principles of how to deal with a suspected accidental exposure to optical radiation.
• Aware of the basic principles of the maximum permissible exposure levels and the precautions required to ensure that exposure of unprotected skin and eyes of those present is less than the maximum permissible levels.
• Additional precautions that may be necessary when undertaking non-routine activities with the equipment.
• The safety procedures and policies governing optical radiation equipment use,
including the local rules, Controlled Area, emergency action and accident reporting procedures.
• Understand the role of the Laser Protection Advisor and Laser Protection Supervisor.
• Be aware of the relevant legislation and standards that pertain to lasers and IPLs.
• Principles of risk assessment.
• Be familiar with the basic principles of the administration of safety.
For information on the course fees please click here.